We’ve all heard so many stories about people who tried to dye their hair at home, only to have it come out as a completely different color than they originally planned. Since it happens so often, it’s surprising that people still attempt to do it themselves.
This teen tried to dye their hair a red color, as they were going through an emo phase. Well, it didn’t go as planned. They ended up with a huge red splotch on the top of their head when the dye clumped together. Their mom said, “wow, you really screwed that up, didn’t you?” She laughed, and then went to the store and bought them black hair dye so they wouldn’t have to walk around in public looking like that (via The Brainy Penny).
Cutting corners always feels like one of those good ideas that’ll never have any repercussions. You’re doing your job, just more efficiently and quickly. Sometimes, though, you can cut too many corners and end up causing more harm than good. When these retail employees tried to save time when they were collecting the remaining carts in the parking lot, they ended up damaging tons of goods.
Instead of making four cart lines, they made one huge line. Because the line of carts was so heavy, they couldn’t stop them. The carts blew past the cart rail and ended up denting a refrigerator and breaking a TV. Needless to say, the store manager was not happy (via The Brainy Penny).
Alcohol messes with our inhibitions. Things that seem like good ideas when we’re drunk usually aren’t good ideas at all. This especially holds true when we’re in our twenties. Stealing things while drunk is a pretty common occurrence and something that happens more often than not. Most of us are probably guilty of stealing an object or two while drunk. This internet user admits he tried to steal a solar light from a neighbor’s yard when he was out drinking.
As he was trying to steal the light, he fell off of the concrete slat and onto the ground. At first, it felt like he hurt his funny bone, but after a week of pain, he finally went to the doctor and discovered he’d broken his elbow. Insurance covered $23,000 worth of surgery, of which he only had to pay $1,000. He’s much older now, and it wasn’t until recently that his wife made him throw away the light (via The Brainy Penny).
When you’re 12 and you and your friends suddenly build a makeshift adrenaline activity in your backyard, it’s life-changing. You’re left wondering how your little brains thought of something so intricate and clever. A group of twelve-year-olds decided to make a homemade zipline in their backyard. They tied one end of a rope to a tree at the top of a hill, and since they didn’t have anywhere to tie it at the bottom, decided to hold the rope taut while they took turns going down.
The first person crashed. But that didn’t stop them from trying again and again, with a crash every single time. Oftentimes, when you’re a kid, safety is the last thing on your mind (via The Brainy Penny).
Kids will be kids. There’s no stopping that. They’ll try anything and everything until they learn their lessons, which usually end up being the hard way. In one math class, in particular, students would toss things back and forth between the adjacent classroom they shared a wall with while the teacher wasn’t looking.
One time, a student launched his textbook towards the window. Instead of going straight through the window, it slammed into it and took down a shelf as it fell. Three math teachers immediately scolded them. As they were getting reprimanded, a lone marker flew through the window, like a lone warrior (via The Brainy Penny).
Sliding across a piece of plywood covered in algae seems like one of those good ideas only kids would have. This group of kids decided to have a “wipe out” contest to see who could wipe out the best. The game was going well until one of them wiped out. He tripped, slid across the algae-covered board with his hand, and punctured a part of his palm with the plywood.
He had to go to his neighbor’s house for a cleaning, then ride up to his brother’s house on a dirt bike to clean it with peroxide. Afterward, he needed to go to the ER, only to be told they couldn’t do stitches in case the plywood was still in his hand. If they did, it could cause necrosis. But the good news is that he won the game (via The Brainy Penny).
Stealing things when you’re a teenager seems like one of those good ideas that never turn out well. Teens never really think about the repercussions of their actions, which is why they end up causing more damage than not. While drunk, this group of teens tried to steal a coke vending machine by tipping it into the back of their Ford Ranger pickup. They managed to get it into the truck, but they forgot to unplug it.
As his friend drove away, with his brother standing on top of the vending machine as if he were riding a horse, the vending machine fell out of the back of the truck and crashed to the ground. Not surprising. Their grand plan of having copious amounts of coca-cola in their garage for eternity didn’t end up happening (via The Brainy Penny).
Hunger and thirst are two human needs. Without them, we wouldn’t survive. This internet user gladly shared their story about trying to catch a fish in a stream in New Zealand, akin to a bear leaping into a stream. He thought he could dunk his hands in and catch the fish much like a majestic animal with a clean catch, but his idea quickly went downhill.
Completely naked, he leaped off the tree. His wet feet slipped and he sprawled out into a full stretch, like a frog. Then, he belly-flopped into the bone-numbing cold stream and was swept downstream, keeping his head above water until he managed to find a spot he could steady himself. He managed to get some air into his lungs and clambered back onto dry land. He looked like a drenched rat as he climbed back up to the house he was working at. His biggest lesson was the recognition that he needs to stick to kitchens (via The Brainy Penny).
As we’ve seen many times before, kids think of good ideas that rarely end well. This internet user is no exception. When he was a kid, he and his friends squirted a bottle of dishwashing soap at the entrance of a mall. The entrance had a downslope and was extra slippery when wet.
As a car barreled down the road, they decided to photograph the driver’s surprise when he got to the slippery part of the road. Within seconds, the driver crashed his car, causing six other cars to crash behind him. The kids ran away, tossed the film, and didn’t tell a soul (via The Brainy Penny).
If the water is deep enough, rope swings are a fun way to get into the water. But when they’re hanging over shallow water, there’s no saying what could happen. Usually, slamming into the bottom of a shallow river never ends well.
This is exactly what happened to this kid. After a bike ride with his scout troop, they went to a rope swing along a shallow river. His parents arrived to pick him up, and because his mom was in a good mood, she let him take one last swing. Well, that was a bad idea. He swung into the water, landed on his wrist, and broke his arm. Let’s just say his mother was not pleased (via The Brainy Penny).
You don’t understand how quickly a fire can spread until you witness it firsthand. If fire catches the wrong material, it’s only a matter of time before an entire fire is spreading across a field or house, with no signs of stopping.
When this internet user was 17, his friend was playing with fire. He ended up setting an entire field up in flames. His dad was incredibly angry and ended up taking money out of his college funds to pay for the damage to the field and the hunting camp lodge, which had burned down. While his friends went off to get degrees, he had to stay at home and work. Sadly, this one mistake had a ripple effect on the rest of his life (via The Brainy Penny).
In school, practicing for a fire drill was annoying but necessary. Without it, we wouldn’t know what to do in the case of a fire. Because it was so repetitive, some students would try to make it feel more exciting. Usually, we would watch them crack jokes or cause a disruption, but other times, something else happened.
In this particular school, students had to hold a sign with their teacher’s name on it, so the class wouldn’t get lost. A group of kids convinced one student to throw the sign like a spear through a small window. He threw it, shattered the window, and ended up having to pay $160. It was one of those good ideas only kids would think of. At least they appreciated their teacher’s priceless reaction (via The Brainy Penny).
Running with your eyes closed seems like one of those good ideas that quickly turns bad. This 14-year-old thought it was a good idea to run across the street with his eyes closed. Even though he didn’t get hit by a car, he ran straight into a tree.
He cut open his face and knee. We’re not sure why he thought of this idea in the first place, but there was no way it was going to end well. At least he didn’t get hit by a car, because the repercussions of that would’ve been a lot worse (via The Brainy Penny).